PUBLIC INFORMATION SPECIALIST II - 37020775
Date: May 10, 2019
Location: NAPLES, FL, US, 34113
Requisition No: 62607
Agency: Environmental Protection
Position Number: 37020775
Salary: $ 42,948.00
Posting Closing Date: 05/24/2019
This is a full-time Career Service position with benefits located at Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve in Naples, Florida.
Job Description: Incumbent will promote the mission of Rookery Bay Research Reserve and increase public awareness of the value of estuaries through effective public relations and marketing strategies aimed at the public and targeted audiences. Includes writing or editing feature articles, calendar announcements, press releases and other communications products.
- Assist staff in sharing key messages with specific audiences for activities where public support is required, i.e. management plan review/approval, Critical Wildlife Area designations and other postings, public workshops, public access, natural and cultural resource protection and catastrophe response plans.
- Help ensure consistent messaging and branding protocols for the agency are followed for staff speaking engagements within the region.
- Serve as media liaison for the reserve, handling press inquiries and liaising with the central office, providing information for websites, and maintaining photo library of reserve activities.
- Oversee team efforts to maintain clippings board and binder, research non-traditional media opportunities, trade journals, community newsletters and concierge outreach program.
- Develop or coordinate design of communications materials to advertise and educate the public, Environmental Learning Center visitors and other audiences, to increase public awareness of events and programs. Includes production of signs, exhibits, brochures or other fabricated collateral; designing and placing print or digital advertisements.
- Provide content for two websites and social media platforms managed by The Department of Environmental Protection and The Friends of Rookery Bay.
- Maintain video library, coordinate or assist with video production and placement.
- Provide communications and public relations assistance to regional field offices for outreach and internal communication.
- Keep current on Reserve initiatives, goals, issues, safety protocols and help maintain aspects of safe and effective Reserve operations by attending meetings and participating in other reserve activities as needed.
- A degree in Mass Communications, Public Relations or related field.
- The ability to culminate words and pictures into meaningful presentations for diverse audiences.
- A comprehensive understanding of DEP’s role, mission and relationships with managing and partnering agencies
- An understanding of the needs and interests of various audiences including the visiting public, upper-level management, and various stakeholders.
- The ability to communicate effectively about various topics including restoration science and natural history.
- Sensitivity to “hot topics” and ability to handle media inquiries.
- Ability to supervisor employees in this field.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.