ROOKERY BAY NATIONAL ESTUARINE RESEARCH RESERVE
Making a Difference
Acres of rejuvenated through prescribed burns
# of hatchlings that emerged through efforts of our Sea Turtle Program
% of Teachers on the Estuary educators that will integrate marine science into curriculum
% of coastal training participants that apply knowledge to workplace
Working together to protect a unique environment
We see Rookery Bay protected forever—a working landscape, where people, industry, and nature thrive together. As one of the last remaining undisturbed mangrove estuaries in North America, Rookery Bay will remain a wellspring of life and a source of inspiration.
- Leading the way for innovative conservation and land management practices – crucial for adapting to constantly changing environments.
- Monitoring of water, weather, plants and animals help scientists and government leaders detect differences before they become problems.
- Inspiring 3,000 students and teachers to be stewards of our coast
- Educating 50,000+ people through eco-tours, classes, events and outreach programs
- Protecting hundreds of sea turtle nests from predators, giving thousands of hatchlings a chance to reach the sea.
- Working to eradicate non-native, invasive plants and animals threatening Florida’s beautiful native wildlife, none more challenging than Burmese pythons.
- Educating more than 6,000 community leaders, business owners and elected officials about connections between coastal science, management and our local economy.
- 99% reported increase in knowledge by training program participants while 92% reported applying information learned to their work.