ABOUT OUR DORMITORIES
Shell Island Road Dormitory
Ten Thousand Islands Field Station
RESERVATION GUIDELINES AND INFORMATION
To reserve space in one of our dormitories, prospective tenants must complete the online reservation form. Tenants share dorm space with other individuals. Once a reservation is received it will be routed to the appropriate staff member for approval. Following approval, the designated host will send a reservation confirmation within 3-5 business days via email.
- Reservations should be made at least a month in advance.
- The maximum length of stay is limited to two weeks, unless an extension is granted.
- Customers will receive a full refund or credit only with 48 hours notice of cancellation.
- The host will provide notice if there are any changes to the original reservation.
- A student or visiting investigator conducting work within Reserve boundaries
- A natural resource management support partner
- A guest/attendee participating in a Reserve-hosted workshop or training
The Friends of Rookery Bay, the Reserve’s citizen support organization, facilitates the operation of the dormitories and reservations.
- Shell Island Dormitory: Nightly fees $20 (students) $40 (Natural Resource Management Partner and trainee/meeting attendee or guest) $55 (Scientists)
- Goodland Dormitory: Nightly fees $25 (students) $40 (Nature Resource Management Partner and trainee/meeting attendee or guest) $55 (Scientists)
Tenants you will receive an online confirmation via FareHarbor for payment. If they wish to pay with a check, mail or drop off check to Environmental Learning Center.
Attn: Cathy Bolinger
Friends of Rookery Bay
300 Tower Rd. Naples, FL 34113
Please make check out to Friends of Rookery Bay with memo: Dormitories.
Arrival & Departure
- Tenants must coordinate arrival with their designated host, who will provide an overview briefing, including a tour of the facility, additional contact information, visitor guidelines and safety and security operations.
- Please keep in mind that the Rookery Bay Environmental Learning Center is closed on weekends and on official State/Federal holidays.
- Tenants must schedule a departure time with the host, who will be responsible for conducting a quick inspection of the facility prior to check-out.
Vessels & Docking
- Scientists conducting field work are required to complete a Visiting Scientist application form.
- Field researchers are permitted to bring their own vessel and trailer.
- Recommended vessel size is 17′ – 20′ with a shallow draft.
- Users are responsible for fueling and any other cost involved.
- Tenants may request logistic support or the use of a Reserve vessel and equipment.
- Management approval for logistic assistance must be provided in advance.
- Use of a Reserve vessel is available and may be reserved for $90/day without an operator, $140/day if operator assistance is required.
- Tenants are responsible for their own bedding and towels (pillows are provided)
- All dishes and cookware should be washed and stored appropriately, rooms should be swept clean, garbage placed in the dumpsters, and food and beverages need to be removed from the premises upon departure
- Do not remove books, maps, and posters (but feel free to add to the book collection)
- No unregistered visitors are allowed overnight
- Alcohol consumption is not permitted in the field station buildings or on the premises
- Smoking is not allowed inside the buildings or within 25 feet of the property
- No sunbathing or fishing are allowed on the dock or on shore
- Do not store flammable liquids inside the buildings
- Dock or shed use must be approved prior to arrival
- No long-term storage is allowed on the premises
- No pets allowed
DORMITORY RESERVATION FORM
Prospective tenants must complete the online reservation form below in order to reserve space in one of our dormitories.
Dorms are for interns, visiting scientists, trainee/meeting attendees and
Contractors (exluding Python contractors).