What: Lunch & Learn Lecture Series: Rookery Bay Through Their Eyes
When: Monthly (Noon-1pm), November 2018 through April 2019
Where: Rookery Bay Environmental Learning Center, 300 Tower Road
How: Cost is $15, includes lunch. Advance registration is required.
The Lunch & Learn lecture series hosted at Rookery Bay Environmental Learning Center invites guests to enjoy a meal in the comfort of the auditorium while learning about an environmental topic. In honor of Rookery Bay Research Reserve's 40th anniversary, the 2018-2019 lecture series titled “Rookery Bay: Through Their Eyes” will focus on the history of the Rookery Bay area, establishment of the research reserve, and its contributions to scientific research and awareness of the local environment. Lectures by staff and volunteers will describe 6,000 years of human use of this estuary, including stories about prehistoric people and Calusas, post-Civil War pioneers, present-day residents, researchers and staff, with highlights on some of the more recent accomplishments and notable events in the Reserve’s timeline.
The first lecture on Nov. 27 is presented through the eyes of the Reserve's cultural historian, Steve Bertone. His talk is titled "Archaic Shell Rings to Shell Mounds: 6,000 Years of Human Use of Rookery Bay."
Subsequent lectures in the Lunch & Learn lecture series run noon - 1pm and include:
- Dec. 18: Through the Eyes of the Pioneer Family, by Ray Carroll, third-generation Rookery Bay resident and volunteer
- Jan. 29: Through the Eyes of the Local Residents and Volunteers, by Allison Haynes, 1990's Rookery Bay-area settler and volunteer
- Feb. 26: Through the Eyes of Staff, by Renee Wilson, Communications Coordinator at Rookery Bay Research Reserve
- March 19: Through the Eyes of the Researcher, by Steve Wilkie, Masters Candidate at Florida Gulf Coast University
- April 16: Through the Eyes of the Filmmakers, by Elam & Nic Stoltzfus, Filmmakers at Live Oak Production Group
The cost to attend the lectures is $15 and includes lunch. Friends of Rookery Bay members enjoy a 10% discount.