The Shell Island Road Dormitory is located at the Rookery Bay Field Station on 10 Shell Island Road, which is off Collier Boulevard (CR 951) a few miles south of the reserve's headquarters and Environmental Learning Center. The Rookery Bay Field Station includes a classroom, office, bathroom and primitive laboratory and a wet lab, docks with slips for approximately 8 boats, small storage area, and the dormitory. The dormitory has a capacity for 10 visitors: 4 bedrooms with bunk beds and one full bathroom. It has a common area and a kitchen equipped with a refrigerator/freezer, stove, oven, microwave, sink, coffeemaker and kitchenware. Be aware that, while WiFi is available, there is no landline telephone. Instructions for WiFi access are located on a laminated sheet on the refrigerator.
The Ten Thousand Islands Field Station dormitory is located at 2561 San Marco Road (State Road 92) at the corner of County Road 892 on the way to Goodland. It is about 10 miles away from the Reserve headquarters and due east of Marco Island. It is currently a small dormitory field station, which can accommodate up to 4 people in two rooms: it has a full bathroom, a small kitchen equipped with refrigerator/freezer, stove, oven, microwave, sink, coffeemaker and kitchenware, an adjacent small storage building, a dock for 3 boats and a mobile fueling station. It has WiFi and a landline phone. Plans to build a new, larger dormitory facility at this location are in the works. Construction is expected to get underway in 2018.
Tenants will be assigned a Reserve staff member as their host throughout their stay. The host will be the immediate contact for any needs and emergencies.
To reserve space in one of our dormitories, prospective tenants must complete the online reservation form (below). Check the box to confirm agreement to the Rookery Bay Reserve Dormitory Policy before submitting the reservation request. Keep in mind that most tenants share dorm space with other individuals. Once a reservation is received it will be routed to the appropriate staff member for approval. Following approval, the designated host will send a reservation confirmation within 3-5 business days via email. Additional considerations:
- Reservations should be made at least a month in advance.
- The maximum length of stay is limited to two weeks, unless an extension is granted.
- If cancellation is necessary, please do so as far in advance as possible (minimally two days notice) so that we may accommodate other requests.
- The host will provide notice if there are any changes to the original reservation.
The Friends of Rookery Bay, the Reserve's citizen support organization, facilitates the operation of the dormitories and reservations. In order to defray the costs associated with the maintenance and operation of the facilities, the Friends requests a tax-deductible contribution for all tenants. Nightly fees range from $20 (student) to $40 (scientists, educators).
A few days prior to arrival the primary tenant will receive an email with payment instructions and a link to PayPal where credit card payments can be processed. Alternatively, credit card payment may be made in person at the front desk of the Environmental Learning Center during business hours. Any check payments must be made payable to Friends of Rookery Bay and provided to the designated host for processing.
Arrival and Departure
Tenants must coordinate arrival with their designated host, who will provide an overview briefing, including a tour of the facility, additional contact information, visitor guidelines and safety and security operations.
Please keep in mind that the Rookery Bay Environmental Learning Center is closed on weekends and on official State holidays.
Tenants must schedule a departure time with the host, who will be responsible for conducting a quick inspection of the facility prior to check-out.
Vessels and Docking
Scientists conducting field work are required to complete a Visiting Scientist application form. Field researchers are permitted to bring their own vessel and trailer. Recommended vessel size is 17' – 20' with a shallow draft. Users are responsible for fueling and any other cost involved. Tenants may request logistic support or the use of a Reserve vessel and equipment via the application form. Management approval for logistic assistance must be provided in advance.
• Tenants are responsible for their own bedding and towels (pillows are provided).
• All dishes and cookware should be washed and stored appropriately, rooms should be swept clean, garbage placed in the dumpsters, and food and beverages need to be removed from the premises upon departure.
• Do not remove books, maps, and posters (but feel free to add to the book collection.)
• No unregistered visitors are allowed overnight.
• Alcohol consumption is not permitted in the field station buildings or on the premises.
• Smoking is not allowed inside the buildings or within 25 feet of the property.
• No sunbathing or fishing are allowed on the dock or on shore.
• Do not store flammable liquids inside the buildings.
• Dock or shed use must be approved prior to arrival.
• No long-term storage is allowed on the premises.
• No pets allowed.